An investigation into the fatal police-involved shooting of Jonni Kiyoshi Honda is under way, but results are not expected for at least two months.

After an approximately 33-hour standoff with police, Honda, 51, of Big Bar, was shot and killed by police at approximately 11:32 p.m. Friday as he exited the motel room where he had been holed up.

According to previous reports, he was shot after he tried to raise a handgun at Eureka police Special Weapons and Tactics officers who were attempting to take him into custody.
Following the incident, three officers were placed on paid leave, said Eureka Police Public Information Officer Suzie Owsley.

How many officers actually shot their guns has not yet been released.

“The chief stated he is not releasing how many people shot, just that three are on leave,” Owsley said.

Honda, who was a former Trinity County Search and Rescue volunteer, was rushed to St. Joseph Hospital, but was pronounced dead on arrival, according to police.
The standoff started on Thursday at approximately 3 p.m., when EPD officers attempted to serve felony arrest warrants on Honda for sexual assaults on three girls under the age of 14 that allegedly occurred in Trinity County, an EPD news release stated.

In addition to the Humboldt County District Attorney’s Office, interim Eureka Police Chief Murl Harpham has asked the California state Attorney General’s Office Criminal Justice Investigation team to investigate the incident as well.

“The AG’s office anticipates having the written report within 60 days,” Owsley said.

Harpham said he wanted both outside agencies to get involved in investigating the incident, something he said he hopes will “calm the fears” of community residents who may believe police acted wrongly.

Honda’s is the third fatal police-involved shooting to occur in Eureka since April.

“This request by no means should indicate to anyone that I think our officers acted outside of the law, outside of procedure, or unprofessionally,” Harpham stated in the news release. “It is only because of the recent incidents our officers have been forced into and the negative reaction by some people and the spin by some media that I am initiating this.”